Modern life with countless chaos happens, so many people need pets as a companion. Cats are chosen for their easy-to-adopt, friendly properties, and even the smallest actions can make people laugh. They engage with people and become members of many families.
If you have learned about cats, you will surely know that cats can wear a lot of illnesses that have similar expressions to humans. Cats can be allergic, may have vomiting or diarrhea, and may even have cancer and other serious illnesses. And in particular, this is the answer for you who are wondering despite the question posed in the headline: Yes, Cats can hiccup.
Hey, don’t laugh! I see your smile already. The truth with a lot of interesting things is waiting for you behind that article.
Definition of hiccups in cats
When I started thinking about this, I tried not to laugh too much because it was so funny. Cat hiccups do not have a clear definition.
According to Medical News Today, a medical news site, “When a hiccup is formed, it is due to the sudden, involuntary contraction of the diaphragm at the same time as the contraction of the voice box, or larynx. , and complete closure of the glottis. “
It seems too learned, right? To put it more simply, it is an abnormal breath when it has a significant increase in intensity associated with the sudden contraction of the diaphragm – the respiratory muscles located in the muscle groups of the body. This activity is often accompanied by a fairly clear noise. In cats, hiccups are quite similar to hissing or whining when they breathe. The cat seemed to be trying to make a meow, but there was something stuck in its throat like the cat was trying to vomit. That describes in detail if you need it.
A cat is an animal. And if we look at the viewpoint that any warm-blooded animal can hiccup, the “cats can hiccup” seems too ordinary.
Must read: How To Keep Coyotes Away From Cats?
The cause of hiccups in cats
Hiccups in cats are caused due to the sudden contraction of the diaphragm. So what makes that happen?
Many causes that have been researched and pointed out by veterinarians, namely:
- The most common cause of hiccups in cats is overeating or overeating. Often this situation arises if the cat is hungry for a long time or has a food competition with other domestic animals. By doing so, your cat will not chew properly, resulting in too much air coming in.
- You still enjoy the silky fur of cats. But did you know that, when your cat is moving, the feathers flying in the air can be another major cause of cats’ hiccups? Cats inhale hairballs by air, these hairballs stick to their necks and cause discomfort. With broken necks or coughs to eliminate them, hiccups are born.
- More seriously, if the hiccups are persistent and steadily increasing in intensity, unfortunately, it can be said that this could be a sign of a bigger problem, such as a tumor, an organ disease or even lice neurological problems.
- Finally, though less frequently mentioned, hiccups can also be born due to the cat’s psychological instability. The lack of attention from the caregiver, the psychological fear of being constantly in an enclosed space without the owner, and even fighting for territory or food can be referred to as an original multiply surprise.
Worse things can be behind hiccups
This is a part I absolutely do not want to mention in this article because it can cause unnecessary confusion. Read slowly and downright calm. Try your best!
Normal hiccups never last more than a day. That’s for sure. If they often have hiccups after eating, I can confirm that your cat has an unhealthy eating habit.
Except for the above two cases, please pay close attention to the following expressions and arrange the nearest date to take your cat to the examination. Note: they often come with unusually long hiccups.
- If the hiccup is accompanied by a cough, it could be a sign of a bacterial attack, causing a sore throat.
- The animal staggered and showed poor balance, feeling nauseous, sometimes turning into vomiting. The signs may be encephalitis, meningitis, brain tumor, or high pressure in the pet’s skull.
- Your cat is unable to control its excretory function but does not urinate often. It is due to the pathology of the gallbladder or bladder, gastritis, and peptic ulcers.
- Dyspnea can signal pneumonia, bronchitis, or cardiovascular and circulatory system problems. More seriously, if your beloved cat loses part or all of his consciousness, there is a high likelihood of a stroke, heart rhythm disorder, or heart attack.
Should I worry when my cat hiccups? How to cure cat hiccups
Hiccups in cats, as noted, are a very normal physiological phenomenon (except in severe cases). Meaning you absolutely don’t need to worry about them. To handle them, you stem from the main cause of this phenomenon.
The most common cause still comes from diet. Try to give your cat a sufficient amount of food and water, so they don’t eat too fast or too much. If you have a lot of pets, try to divide the dining area to avoid unnecessary competition in the area and food. Breaking down meals is also a good way. This forces the cat to eat slowly enough to not cause irritation to the throat and stomach. Don’t try to force your cat to eat, let it do what it likes in the most natural way possible.
Some cats also like flowing water, so a circulating water fountain can be provided for them. This also contributes to stimulating cat movement.
For hiccups due to hairballs, this can also be improved thanks to your diet or activity, as well as your pet. Scientists have worked hard to develop an active ingredient, called Laxatone, to limit the loss of hair in cats. You can buy it at any veterinary store. Besides, what do you think about buying an additional air cleaner? This is quite expensive, but it will also have a positive impact on your health.
And hiccups are also the way for you to show your love for this fluffy friend. Do not always have fun with them. Give them a quiet time where you can both lie together, and you’ll be able to stroke them.
Those are all easy ways to do it at home. But when the hiccups have entered a negative phase (with accompanying symptoms), it is time for the presence of veterinarians – those with real expertise. Do not be lazy! If you see the image of a playful, everyday cat, try to bring it to the nearest veterinary hospital as quickly as possible.
Cat hiccups are an interesting thing that you cannot always see. They seem to increase the likeliness of this animal. But you really need to pay attention when unusual signs appear. If there is any problem, please contact us. All for the lovely cats!