In recent time, the question “how to travel long distance with a cat” has been so rampant. Travelling a long distance with a feline friend could be so exciting, especially if it’s going to be a long distance journey where returning may not be too soon. It is of no doubt that cats are good companion of man, so, many cats owners would always love to travel most places with their cats with them.
However, in the case of many cats, travelling or leaving their domain or territory can be so threatening to them. So, many cats do not to travel or move from their familiar area to places that are totally strange to them. Although, there are some brave cats that it doesn’t bore them to travel, but majorly, most cats do not like it. Hence, the knowledge of how to travel with a cat arises as a result of looking after the welfare of the cats.
Even with all the challenges that can surface as a result of travelling with a cat especially on a long distance journey, there are still answers to how to travel with a cat. Basically, proper preparation ahead of travelling date is the secret behind successful involvement of cat in a long distance journey.
It is also of a great importance to know that cat hate travelling on cars even if they’re going to follow their owners on vacations. The reason cats do not love cars journey is because of their first experience with car which mostly use to be a bad one. In the case of many kitten, they probably must have left their first family to their present home via this method of bringing them in a car, and whenever the experience comes up, it becomes something so scary to them that they’re losing their present family too.
At this point in time, how to travel with a cat in a car has now become a great challenge for cat owners. Mostly, cat owners are advised to leave their cats behind while going on a long journey, or get pet sitters to look after them while they are away, but in the case whereby owners do not have any option that taking them along; situation like owners moving from one apartment in an area to another apartment in a distance area, there are few tips to look at and put into practice. Below are some tips to be considered if you’re to travel with your cats in your car.
- Adapt your cat to travelling:this is more or less a pre journey tip, and it’s so important if your cat have not travelled before. It should be practiced several weeks before the travelling date. Here, the driver engage the cat in a short distance journey of like 30 minutes or thereabout just to make sure the cat acclimate with driving in no time. There should be availability of travel cage that will eventually be used for the trip, so that he can be used to the motion of the car, the noise and smell of the cage.
While doing this to make sure the cat get to journey on a car, you should give special treats to your cat, this memory will enable him to always love to be there. Be sure of the comfort of the cats during the short period of journey before engaging the cat in a long distance journey.
- Proper medical check-ups before the journey:it could discover during trial ride if your cat is prone to motion sickness. Seeking medical attention is the best option for you at that point. Your vet can administer or prescribe drugs that can be used if such occurrence repeats itself during proper drive. Medications generally use to be an option to help cats feel more comfortable in an anxiety situation. Chlorpromazine, an anti-nausea drug can be a good one to control sickness base on motion. Carsick is also another challenge you can encounter, drugs can also be used to correct this.
How to travel with a cat in a car is not any way an easy task, you musts be able to observe everything concerning the cat while driving for you not to lose your great friend to unserious sicknesses. Crying of the cat, making continuous sound, drooling, being afraid to move, constant urinating, stooling and vomiting could be signs of motion sickness. It is also medicinal to travel with ginger as it can be used to treat nausea in cats as much as it does in human.
- Try sedative at home before travelling date: this is best done at home before travelling date as there will be time to talk to the vet if any negative result is observed. Sedative drugs can have different impacts in different cats. At this point, your vet can have alternative drugs to use.Although, most sedatives break the cat down, but if the drug is overreacting or not reacting enough, it is advisable to contact your vet before your departure from home. It is also a good sign if sedated, the cat is still in good shape and order in the surrounding. During this process, the cat should be put in the carrier to be driven on a trial process. Ensure you have enough medication from your vet to sustain you on your journey.
- Emergency and parks/hotel location on travelling path:do a thorough research on where vet emergency are located in the route at which you want to travel. During your packing, be careful enough not to leave behind your cat’s tag, medical and vaccination records. Make a research to know hotels that allows cats into their buildings. Many hotels do not welcome cats, so it will be the duty of the cat owner to have asked and checked to know those that will accept in stay of cats. You can make use of the internet to carry out some of your pre journey investigations.
- Get enough toys and food for the cat: avoid boring journey for the feline creature, make sure to have packed enough toys that can engage the cat and make it comfortable embarking on the journey. Avoid giving the cat just any how water, they have experience stomach ache as a result, but rather pack some milk in bottles and some clean water to feed the cat with.
- Proper feeding for the cat earlier on travelling day: it is advisable to have properly fed the cat well in about 3 to 4 hours before journey time. This is because the food ingested by the cat has to settle down properly in them so that they won’t experience stomach disorder on the way due to pot holes or galloping on the road.
- Make the cat feel at home during the journey in the car: cats like other animals too do smell things very well. You can surround the cat carrier with home blanket; the smell from the blanket will make him feel at home. By doing this, the cat will be less afraid of losing his home but rather enjoy the journey alongside with the owner.
- Do not lock the door of the cage or carrier: it is also of a great importance to understand that the door of the cage have to be left opened so that the cat will be comfortable going in and coming out by itself without force from the pet owner. Cats generally love freedom of movement, they prefer going to places they wish without anyone compelling them. This practice should be considered even before the journey so that the cat can be used to it during the drive time. Please note that the carrier should also be placed in the car so that it won’t be strange on them when it’s time for journey.
- Avoid them to see you taking them to the car: this is an important tip to consider among the tips on how to travel with a cat in a car. While carrying their cage to the car, cover them with a blanket or a towel so as to avoid them from seeing it as it may give them a bad memory which they had in time past. The blanket or towel can later be removed after when they are placed in a good spot in the car. It is safe to strap the carrier with a seat belt, so place it on a seat that has a belt. In some cases, the carrier can be too big for a seat belt to hold, so you can make use of bungee cords or rope to hold the carrier firm in case there is an emergency that may be due to accident or sudden stops.
- Take precautionary measures during the drive: opening and closing the door of the car have to be with extra care, cats are skillful in escaping, and may get bored with the long journey which will make them want to flee from the carrier. You can allow your cat roam about the car, it can make them stretch their legs and void them of fatigue. In case of stopping by at a relaxation center or hotel, crate your cat so that you can take them into the hotel room in the carrier. It is also important for you to know that at no time should you leave the cat inside the car when the engine is off and the air conditioner is not working, it may be hot inside the car and can cause damage to the cat.
- Excretion easiness:it is advisable to buy some of the disposable litter boxes; it will help the cat to easily excrete whenever they want to. During the journey, your cat may need use the litter box, you can place the litter box on the floor of the car where the carrier is placed. To avoid unpleasant smell and irritation in the car, you can dispose the waste.
- Consider the travelling season:travel with much ice packs or frozen bottles of water if you’re travelling in summer. This will help to keep the cats in a cooler state. Fix your car air conditioner if it’s faulty. Also, if you’re travelling during winter, don’t forget to go along with extra blankets for your cats to avoid cold.
- Do thorough safety investigation in the hotel room or apartment: it could be so tasking to keep your cat with you while travelling, but it’s always fun. Inspect the room you’re lodging with the cat and the surrounding to confirm there are no dangerous objects around the house that could cause harm to your cat. Check the walls for sharp objects like nail or its likes and holes that can accommodate the cat to escape from the room. Watch out for traps made to harm rodents in the apartment like poisoned food and disallow the cat rom getting there or better keep it away.
Moreover, for you as a cat lover to know how to travel with your feline pal, especially a long journey, you must be able to take note of the above tips. Getting medications in advance in case of any medical emergency on the way is a key point to assure safety of the cat, a cat may suddenly development one ailment or the other as a result of anxiety during the drive time. Making the cat confortable during the journey, at the hotel to relax and at the destination of journey is also important, so get fascinating toys for the cat, get blankets that the cat is familiar with should in case there is cold and ice block or freeze bottles in the case of hot weather, and put enough water and milk in the car for the cat. Also, being careful to open the door or window of the car at parks may lead to the loss of the cat, as cats may be tired of staying in the car and want to escape from the car. You will definitely have a good time travelling with your cat if these tips can be duly considered.
You may like :